Saturday, January 17, 2015

Book Review: "Oh Yeah, Audrey!" by Tucker Shaw

3:06 PM
Synopsis:

It’s 5:00 a.m. on Fifth Avenue, and 16-year-old Gemma Beasley is standing in front of Tiffany & Co. wearing the perfect black dress with her coffee in hand—just like Holly Golightly. As the cofounder of a successful Tumblr blog—Oh Yeah Audrey!—devoted to all things Audrey Hepburn, Gemma has traveled to New York in order to meet up with her fellow bloggers for the first time. She has meticulously planned out a 24-hour adventure in homage to Breakfast at Tiffany’s; however, her plans are derailed when a glamorous boy sweeps in and offers her the New York experience she’s always dreamed of. Gemma soon learns who her true friends are and that, sometimes, no matter where you go, you just end up finding yourself.Filled with hip and sparkling prose, Oh Yeah, Audrey! is as much a story of friendship as it is a love letter to New York, Audrey Hepburn, and the character she made famous: Holly Golightly. 
(taken from goodreads)




 Review:

As a massive fan of Audrey Hepburn, I flipped when I found out about this book. I needed to get it immediately. And so I did. 

First thing I noticed when I got it, was how short the book is (240 pages with considerably large font). Upon noticing I told myself to lower my expectations a little bit. Because most of the times when I go into a book with high expectations I end up a bit disappointed. However, this book didn't overly impress me and it didn't disappoint me either. 

The book follows a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn named Gemma Beasley. Gemma is part of a Tumblr group dedicated to posting all things Audrey. She is actually friends with a few people who make part of said group. She just hasn't met them in real life ,though. One day they all decide to go and meet up in New York for the first time in front of the Tiffany store shown in the opening scene in Breakfast At Tiffany's. They all plan out a whole schedule filled with many Audrey related activities. Nonetheless, things don't go exactly as planned when Gemma meets a cute guy who wants to take her out and give her the full New York experience. 

Personally, I think this book can be best described as entertaining. The plot was really nice as well as well as the writing. I really liked the fact that we get to really know the characters and see how they all develop in to their true selves. Especially Emma who I guess we can all learn from. I was also very fond of how all the Audrey Hepburn elements were incorporated into the story.

Anyone can read this and truly enjoy it. However, I believe those who are familiarized with Audrey Hepburn and the movie Breakfast At Tiffany's will probably get the most out of this book. Just because of all the references and all that, since they do take make up a great part of this story.

Overall, it was a lovely book. A fast paced and entertaining coming-of-age read. Perfect for getting out of a reading slump!


Rating:

3/ 5















No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top