Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Review: "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And other Concerns)" by Mindy Kaling

7:49 PM
Synopsis:

Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut up about it?” 

Perhaps you want to know what Mindy thinks makes a great best friend (someone who will fill your prescription in the middle of the night), or what makes a great guy (one who is aware of all elderly people in any room at any time and acts accordingly), or what is the perfect amount of fame (so famous you can never get convicted of murder in a court of law), or how to maintain a trim figure (you will not find that information in these pages). If so, you’ve come to the right book, mostly!


In Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Mindy invites readers on a tour of her life and her unscientific observations on romance, friendship, and Hollywood, with several conveniently placed stopping points for you to run errands and make phone calls. Mindy Kaling really is just a Girl Next Door—not so much literally anywhere in the continental United States, but definitely if you live in India or Sri Lanka. (taken from goodreads)




Review:

When I first started watching The Mindy Project I was like "Hey, she's (Mindy Kaling) funny!". As I kept watching, it went something more along the lines of "OMG she is great! I love her!". Then I found out she wrote a book! I immediately put it on my Christmas wishlist and hoped for the best. When I woke up on Christmas morning this little gem was waiting under the tree for me. Sadly, I didn't get to read it until very recently. 

I was laughing my my butt off as soon as I started reading. You just can't help it. No matter how angry or sad you are, this book will not fail at making you laugh. You simply can't not love Mindy Kailing. She is merely hilarious and that was successfully portrayed. All wanted from this book was a deeper insight into Kaling's life and I got just that. Along with a few other pleasant surprises.

I really liked the points she made on body image and being positive about said thing. I think that's something that can be useful to many people like myself and I'm glad she actually addressed the subject. She definitely is someone to look up to and admire. In her book she wrote about many of the experiences that have led to her current success and how she dealt with the circumstances during the most insufferable of situations. The tone in this book is casual and conversational and I truly enjoyed it. I also loved how there were actual pictures in it. It really added a little something extra.

Everyone who loves Mindy should read this book. As well as those who've never heard of her. You'd be doing yourself a favor. By then you'll probably find yourself wishing for Mindy Kaling to be your best friend.


Rating:


5/ 5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top