Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Book Review: Entwined by Heather Dixon

9:22 PM


TitleEntwined
Author: Heather Dixon 
Release date: March 29th 2011 
Pages: 472
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
My rating: 3/ 5 stars
Source: Bought



Synopsis:


Just when Azalea should feel that everything is before her—beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing—it's taken away. All of it. And Azalea is trapped. The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. So he extends an invitation.

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest, but there is a cost. The Keeper likes to keep things. Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.


(taken from goodreads)




Review:

I read this book a few months ago so my mind isn't too sharp on all the details, but for some reason I started thinking about this book today! So why not write a review about it, right?

Before mentioning anything else, I should say that I wasn't to keen on this book. But hey, there are positive things I would like to say about it so let's get on to that.

The characters in this book were quite well written, especially the 12 girls. I liked how unique each one of them was and how they all looked out for each other considering how their mom wasn't there anymore and how their father was away at war most of the time. Azalea, the main character, was very caring and loving to her family and I really liked that aspect of her. Overall she was a lovely main character. I also really enjoyed the Keeper and how he was articulated to be such a mysterious and intriguing villain. 

With most fairy-tale retellings comes amazing imagery and this book definitely delivered that. It's just radiating with beautiful and complex descriptions that really form a strong and compelling setting. Also, the atmosphere of the whole book was undeniably magical. Ergo, a lot of parts in this book were magical. Heck, others were pretty heart-felt if I'm being honest. As for the writing, even though it wasn't the most impressive, it was still pretty good.



Clearly this book had a lot of potential. As you can see by the aforementioned things, it really wasn't a bad book. I do, however, have a lot of mixed feelings and I'm not entirely sure why. I mean, have you ever read a book and know that it was actually quite an enjoyable read, but for some reason it just doesn't click with you and you can't quite put your finger on what's keeping you from properly enjoying it? Well, this is exactly the case for me. I guess that the biggest problem for me was the fact that, all those good things I mentioned were present in the book, but in a very sparse way. There were times were I found myself consistently engrossed in the story and other times were I had to push myself to keep on reading because it could get a little bit boring. 

Needless to say, i feel frustrated with this book. Very much frustrated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top