Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Book Review: "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer" by Michelle Hodkin

6:51 PM

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers 
Pages: 456
Publication date: September 27th 2011
My rating: 55 stars

Synopsis:


Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can. 


She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. 

There is.


She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 

She's wrong.
(taken from goodreads)



Review:

So I finally got around to reading this book. And I'm so glad I did.

All I heard about this book, aside from it being amazing, was that it could get pretty crazy. So I went into expecting that and not much else. What people forgot to mention was that it was insane from the very beginning! No joke, I had to take a minute to compose myself after that first chapter. Truthfully, I found myself doing that a lot of times throughout the book. *Feels*.Which is consequently a very good thing. It evoked a sense of mystery and curiosity that kept me glued to the book 24/7.

First of all, I loved Mara. She was such a great character. Actually, all of the characters were great. Not to mention extremely well-written. I think they complemented each other. Especially Mara and Noah. I liked their relationship and how they interacted. Which might not seem that important, but there is a lot of dialogue in this book, so trust me, that was a pretty crucial aspect. Plus, the authors writing was amazing and very easy to read. Also, very compelling. I was so pulled in to the story and could not put it down. Had it not been for school and other unfortunate responsibilities, I would have finished this book in a day. It's simply that good.

I could not get over the plot and everything that was going on. I'm a big fan of mystery/thrilling books so I ended up really liking the whole unreliable narrator thing and the overall feeling of not knowing anything for sure. It really keep you on the edge of your seat wanting to find out more and more and more. So many twists and shocking things happen in this book! I don't think there was a single dull moment in it.

The last thing I want to mention was the romance in this book. I feel head-over heels for Noah. Just like Mara did. He was just so swoon-worthy! He cares so much for Mara...I just really really like him. And I feel like they have some pretty genuine chemistry.

I think there's a reason why the synopsis is significantly vague so I'm just going to leave my review at that. Well, except for one more thing. If any of you decide to pick this up, make sure you own the other two books. Trust me, you'll be left with plenty of questions at the end of book 1.


4 comments:

  1. Haha, Noah is adorable. I think no single person attracted to the male sex could help but fall head over heals in him. He was just so sweet! And I agree with you, they seemed to have genuine chemistry.

    I wasn't very impressed with the ending though. I hadn't expected this kind of fantasy twist or whatever that was and I was not very amused. Still, I liked this book a whole lot, and I am glad you did too :D

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the second book I've read that has that kind of twist towards the end and, while I wasn't the biggest fan of it, I still think it can work out somehow. I'm currently reading the second book and so good so far! :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved this book! I read it back in 2012, and because I'm not very good at continuing series, I haven't picked up the next two books. I have them, so hopefully soon I'll be able to sit down and marathon them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really suggest you do! It'll be worth it. Actually, I think the series is best enjoyed when marathoned! The feels are multiplied lol

      Delete

Back to Top