Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Book Review: "Ignite" by Lily Paradis

1:01 PM

Synopsis:

After her father’s untimely demise in a mining accident and her mother’s abandonment, Lauren Lindsay is no stranger to loss. She’s used to living life for one person: herself. That is, until another family tragedy thrusts three children into her care and uproots her life in ways she could never imagine.

Lauren's first instinct is to run, until she meets their striking, mysterious neighbor Dean Powell. Their immediate chemistry and his connection with her late father just might be enough to keep her in town long enough to uncover pieces of her past that she never had answers to. Dean’s shady past and her reluctance to trust him could cost her the life she's always been searching for, but will she run back to her old life?

Or will she choose to stay and live the life her father always imagined for her?    
(taken from goodreads)



Review:

Saying that I was pleasantly surprised by this book would be a understatement. When I noticed that it was the kindle version was free on amazon I was like "why not"? It seemed interesting and I was currently in a reading slump so I was willing to take all the help I could get. Not only did this book succeed in getting me out of my reading slump, but it also succeeded at impressing me. It impressed me because (aside from everything about it being awesome!) when I went on to Goodreads I saw that it is NEW ADULT. I almost spit out my coffee. This probably sounds silly to you, but to me it is a monumental moment. With this being my first New Adult read and all.

The book starts out with at a DMV. There, our main character, Lauren stumbles upon this really cute guy whom she later happens to know a lot more about. After all of that she gets a pretty devastating call from her uncle that would change her whole life. Her stepmother had died and she left everything in Lauren's name. And when I say everything I mean everything. Including the kids, which she has never met before. While meeting the kids and staying at their house while they sorted things out. And much to her surprise, the cute guy at DMV is actually really close with the family. And that, friends is when the madness ensues.

I must say, this author deserves serious props for originality. I have never read about a situation quite like this. And she did an outstanding job at creating the perfect mix of romance and family and all thing in between. The way in which the characters' relationships developed was amazing. Especially Dean (DMV guy) and Lauren's. I loved how at first they really didn't like each other that much and how then when Lauren got really caught up in Dean's looks she acknowledged how ridiculous she was acting. It got even better towards the middle of the book, though. With their inside jokes and everything, it merely seemed like the cutest relationship. Dean was such a great character. I liked how he had his own dark past and how he cared so much for Lauren. He definitely made my Top 5 list of fictional boyfriends. I also really loved the kids. They were so cute and I got really attached to them just like Lauren did.

 I feel like the story wrapped up quite nicely. So many things were revealed and they all connected like a puzzle. Still, I couldn't help but feel like I wanted more. And then I read this.  WHAT!? I NEED ARCLIGHT IN MY HANDS RIGHT NOW. Can't wait. I genuinely adored this story.

I had mentioned reading this when it was free on amazon. Well, since I loved it so much I'm actually going to go and buy a physical copy of it. It was amazing and it deserves so much more attention. I'm really looking forward to Lily Paradis' future work.




Rating:

5/ 5






No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top