Monday, December 22, 2014

Review: "Don't Call Me Baby" by Gwendolyn Heasley

9:04 PM
Synopsis:


All her life, Imogene has been known as the girl on THAT blog.


Imogene's mother has been writing an incredibly embarrassing, and incredibly popular, blog about her since before she was born. Hundreds of thousands of perfect strangers knew when Imogene had her first period. Imogene's crush saw her "before and after" orthodontia photos. But Imogene is fifteen now, and her mother is still blogging about her, in gruesome detail, against her will.


When a mandatory school project compels Imogene to start her own blog, Imogene is reluctant to expose even more of her life online...until she realizes that the project is the opportunity she's been waiting for to tell the truth about her life under the virtual microscope and to define herself for the first time.


Don't Call Me Baby is a sharply observed and irrepressibly charming story about mothers and daughters, best friends and first crushes, and the surface-level identities we show the world online and the truth you can see only in real life. 



 (taken from goodreads  )



Review:

I hadn't heard anyone talk about this book prior to reading it. Which is something that I don't do very often. So I was really surprised at how much I actually liked it.

This book follows a fifteen year old girl named Imogene. She is also known as "Babylicious" since her mom has a blog called "Mommylicious" in which she writes just about every detail of Imogene's life. This is what actually got me interested in reading the book. I mean, what would I do if my mom were posting all embarrassing details of my life online?! *shudders* 

To me the book wasn't perfect. It had it's flaws, but I truly enjoyed it. It was funny while having a deeper meaning at the same time. The author really succeeded at portraying themes like family, friendship and identity and at creating  a main character that wasn't unbearably annoying (at least I didn't perceive her that way). I also like the fact that the parents in this book were actually involved. Something that I see a lot of ya novels lack. Also the relationships between the characters seemed real and that to me is crucial when it comes to reading a book.

One specific aspect of the book that stood out to me was how the blogging part of the whole story was incorporated into it. It really made me see blogging in a completely new way. And for that I truly appreciate this book. Because if it weren't for it I wouldn't have made this blog!

I would definitely recommend this book to a little bit of a younger crowd ,though. Maybe 13-16 year olds. Only because it could get a bit juvenile at times, but it really is a good book! 
Also if you are looking for light-hearted, funny and short book, do give this one a try.


Rating:
                           

3/ 5











No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top