Sunday, August 16, 2015

Book Review: The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, Matt Wilson, Clayton Cowles

3:56 PM

TitleThe Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine #1-5)

Author:  
Release date: November 12th 2014
Pages: 144
Genres: Fantasy. Mythology, Supernatural
Publisher: Image Comics
My rating: 3.5/ 5
Source: Bought

Synopsis:

Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever.




Review:

As my first time reading a graphic novel, I was pretty much clueless. I don't really know what makes a graphic novel "good" or what makes it "bad". So please bear with me here cause I'm not too sure on how to review this. 



It seems like graphic novels are becoming more and more popular by the minute. I keep seeing so may people reading and raving about so many of them. So I decided to give one a try myself. I picked up The Wicked + The Divine on a total whim, basically. You see I actually had my mid set on starting my journey into the world of graphic novels with another specific one. However, when I didn't find the exact one I was looking for, The Wicked + The Divine magically popped up. I had actually heard a friend mention it before, but I didn't have any knowledge on what it was about. Still, once I flipped through the pages and caught sight  of the BEAUTIFUL artwork, I knew this one was coming home with me. 



I'm just going to get right into it and say that I really enjoyed this. However, I do think certain aspects of it could have been a lot better. Starting with the story. The originality of the story was pretty rad. I personally am one who loves mythology, so seeing gods perceived in such a modern way was very interesting. Although, I found the story to be hard to follow and take in at times. Had the pace been a bit slower then I would have added another star to my rating. 



Like I said, the artwork in this book is to die for. I don't think I have ever seen something so perfect. Honestly, I could spend hours looking at all the beautifully drawn characters. Which, let me tell you were all something. I might have found the main character to be a little annoying, but the rest of the characters were awesome! They were bad-ass and also hilarious at times. Especially Luci. (And I may or may not have a slight girl-crush on her. ) Overall, they were all well-written and in this case, well-drawn.



As for another reason why I knocked off some stars, would be the dialogue. I felt that it could get confusing some times and lacked a little bit of 'life" if that makes any sense.



A few things could have been better, sure. But this is still a awesome read. And I will be continuing the series, nonetheless. Plus, you'll fly through it and it might even get you out of a reading slump. 

1 comment:

Back to Top